Saturday, August 31, 2013

Super Hero Cape

I am in love with the Cape, Cape Town, South Africa, that is. It is absolutely gorgeous. I could live here. I already decided. :)


We stayed in Brackenfell, a suburb of Cape Town, with a lovely couple, Mike and Laurie Parsons. The attend the Protea Heights congregation which is a recently formed English congregation. Their previous congregation was a bilingual congregation - English and Afrikaans. They spoiled us and always were good company. I believe they are in their 60s. She is super spunky. She has bright red highlights in her gray hair. They were the best tour guides. At one of the wineries they took us to, an employee asked us how we found such great tour guides as if we had hired them. It gave us an opportunity to witness about how we never met them prior to us staying with them.




Our first day with them was a tour of the Cape. We saw stunning views that remind me of the Monterey coast. I asked Laurie to find me some whales. Guess what! We saw Southern Right Whales. Amazing!

We took a funicular to the top of one point and then hiked the rest to an out of commission light house. The views up there were amazing. On the way down, I stumbled and twisted my ankle. At least it happened near the end of our vacay. As I write this, I'm actually back home in Texas and my foot/ankle still hurt but not too badly.





We got to see penguins! They are so adorable! And stinky! They smelled like Sea World. Go figure. The baby penguins seemed bigger than the adult penguins.









While watching the penguins, we spotted some strange animals called dassies. Although they are similar to a gopher, they are the closest relative to elephants. I don't understand how but they were cute nonetheless. Cute, that is, until one charged my foot. At the last moment, he darted under the sidewalk, but not before I screamed and everyone stared at me. Somethings never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment